If you’re looking to improve your driveway, you might be torn between block paving and tarmac (sometimes referred to as asphalt). We’re going to look at the benefits of each driveway material to help you make a more informed decision.
Benefits of Tarmac Driveways
1. They take less time to install. Unlike block paving which consists of many individual paving slabs, tarmac/asphalt consists of just one layer. This often means that it can be completed in one or two days, rather than multiple days. But it’s important to remember that there is also groundwork involved in laying tarmac, as the driveway might have to be excavated beforehand.
2. There are usually less upfront costs. The materials for tarmac are often cheaper, and the labour costs will be lower because tarmac takes less time to lay. That said, block paving only costs 10% more on average.
3. Tarmac is perfect if you’re looking for something simple. If you’re wanting a relatively cheap driveway with ‘no fuss’, then perhaps tarmac is the right option for you.
Benefits of Block Paving
1. It looks fantastic. In terms of visual appeal, block paving is the clear winner. With its clean, neat appearance, it’s guaranteed to complement any home. You can also combine it with gravel, pebbles and chippings for a beautifully contrasting design.
2. It can add value to your home. Instead of investing in an expensive kitchen to boost the value of your home, why not consider sprucing up your driveway instead? First impressions mean everything, and of course your driveway is the first thing that people will see when they visit your home. Block paving is known to lift the overall appearance of properties, so is a worthy investment for this reason.
3. It’s long-lasting and hardwearing. Block paving often retains its appearance longer than tarmac. So while tarmac is cheaper, it’s likely that you’ll have to replace it sooner than block paving. You can also layer block paving with a sealant, which you can’t do with tarmac.
4. Block paving is easier to fix. If there’s any damage to a tarmaced driveway, you’d have to completely resurface it. With block paving, you can easily replace individual blocks if they get damaged or cracked.
If you’re looking for a stunning block paving driveway, check out our very own Tatton Natural Stone Block Paving. This stunning driveway option will look great outside any home, and is unsurprisingly one of our bestsellers.
Visit Landscape World in Widnes
If you want to see our beautiful block paving options for yourself, make sure to visit our display centre in Widnes!
We also offer an easy ‘Click and Collect’ service for all orders under 600kg, which might be more convenient for you. Find out about our opening times and COVID-19 safety measures now.